Thursday, February 11, 2010

Week 3: Dumbest Generation

Are we really the dumbest generation? I could agree with this in some ways, but disagree in others. I agree with this statement because I believe there are some basic things people in this generation don't know how to do that should know. For example: I notice that a lot of people rely on a calculator for very basic math sometimes such as adding/subtracting and especially when it comes to fractions. Another thing is using slang in writing. I see a lot of students who write papers using slang words such as cuz, tho, 2, u in inappropriate situations. Which is caused by the texting and instant messaging. And honestly I don't think they know it's wrong. I believe these are all things everyone should know.
However, in a way I disagree with us being considered the dumbest generation. I believe that with the evolution of technology, that we are open to learn a lot more than what our grandparents and maybe even parents did. We are open to using more sources for information such as computers and electronic databases. I also realize that some things I've learned in high school, my grandparents knew nothing about.
And as for the video with Miss South Carolina (I think), there are actually dumb people in the world, and I think she could be considered one of them.
Are we really the dumbest generation? I don't think so. But I think generations to come will also be considered the same.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you. I don't think we are the dumbest generation entirely. There are many things about our generation that makes us more intelligent than those ahead of us. There are so many people in the world that are "dumb" but those people most likely do not attend school and do not care. There is a reason that people are like that but it doesn't mean that because you questioned 10 people within the same age that the whole population of individuals in that age group are dumb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point about the calculators. Technology has made a lot of things easier for us, sometimes maybe a little bit too easy. We don't have to use our heads as much, but I definitely don't think it has made us completely "dumb."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Openness is definitely a key factor in our generation. With the help of technology we are even more aware of what we are willing to try. There is so much to learn from the internet and our generation wants to know it all. I agree with you that sometimes we do rely on technology too much which can make us dumb. I see people using calculators all the time to do simple arithmetic. You made really good points and I like that you talked about both sides of the argument.

    ReplyDelete