Sunday, February 7, 2010

Week 2: Advertisement

First off, I apologize for being late. I completely forgot about it this week and just got to my computer today.

The video "Killing me Softly" talked mainly about the advertising today. Seeing over 3000 ads a day is quite a lot, however they are everywhere. On clothes, bags, websites, and more. I think that it is ashame the way women are portrayed in ads. Until I saw this video I never thought too much of it. But now, every ad I look at, I look at in a different way. I don't think it's right the way some ads are displayed. & what message are they trying to send you? Sometimes you get the complete opposite of to what they really want you to see. As much as she talked about women in advertisments, what about the men? I don't think I see quite as many men as I do women in advertisments. Nor are the men exposed as much as the women. Granted there are men shirtless, but that's not unusual for a guy. I don't think it's always right the way women are used in advertising, however I can believe that they help greatly in advertising a product and having success.

3 comments:

  1. I also began to look at ads a little bit more critically after seeing the video. It's hard not to be effected by the ads that we see. Sex sells, so it will continue to be used as an effective advertising tool, but I think companies can find a way to be just as successful by coming up with better ideas that actually take some thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also found myself being much more critical about the ads that I see everywhere. I find myself judging all ads and thinking about wether or not they would be appropriate for a child to see. I have also noticed that certain magazines tend to focus on ads that are specific to their audience. When I was looking for an ad to bring to class I started by looking in a SELF magazine and couldn't find anything. The second magazine I looked in was Cosmo and It was like a landmine for bad ads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I now realize that ads are everywhere, literally. Even watching movies there is product placement. I was shocked to see the statistic too but after knowing about it, I can see (literally) that there are a lot of ads out there. Before your statement about "what about men" in advertising, I was thinking the same thing. I wonder what the men from class are thinking about when they were learning about ads. I also agree with your statement about how naked women DO sell a product, because sex does sell.

    ReplyDelete